Asparagus & Wild Garlic Pasta
£7.84 - serves 2
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 8 fat spears of UK asparagus
- 150-200g pappardelle or tagliatelle
- A handful of chopped wild garlic or chives
- A squeeze of lemon
- Put a large pan of heavily salted water on to boil.
- Warm a deep frying pan over a low heat and add the olive oil, butter, leek, saffron and a pinch of salt.
- Gently sauté until the leeks are soft and sweet without caramelising.
- Combine the egg yolks, cream and parmesan in a mug and mix well.
- Cut the tips of the asparagus spears off at an angle. Put the tips to one side, and coarsely grate the stalks right down to the tough base.
- Place the asparagus tips in the salted boiling water, cook for 90 seconds then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Cook the pasta until al dente then drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Add 1 tbsp of cooking water to the soft leeks, stir to create a light emulsion and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the pasta, grated asparagus and wild garlic or chives and stir well. Then add the egg mixture and mix well to coat the pasta without scrambling the eggs.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and a tiny grind of pepper and serve immediately, garnished with a few extra flakes of parmesan.