Homemade Baked Beans
£4.58 - serves 6
- 2 x 400g tins beans (haricot)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp mustard
- 3/4 pint hot stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and very finely diced
- 1 celery stick, trimmed and very finely diced
1) Prepare the veg - they should be chopped as finely as possible (you could use a food processor). Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the vegetables and cook them slowly for 10 minutes. Towards the end of this time, turn up the heat slightly so the vegetables start to caramelise – this adds sweetness to the sauce.
2) Pour in the stock and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, molasses, paprika, mustard, tomato puree and bay. Season and leave to simmer for about half an hour until the sauce is reduced.
3) Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to blend.