Roasted Cauliflower & Lentil Salad with Red Pepper Sauce
£6.28 - serves 4
Ingredients (for the cauliflower & lentil salad)
- 1 large cauliflower (approximately 550g/1lb 4oz), outer leaves and stalk removed, separated into equal-sized florets
- 2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch sea salt flakes, or to taste
- 350g/12oz Puy lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- handful finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
For the red pepper sauce
- 1 large red pepper, preferably Romano, stalk and seeds removed, cut lengthways into quarters
- 70g/2½oz cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Arrange the cauliflower florets on a baking tray. Rub each with a little coconut oil and sprinkle over the cumin and salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning the florets halfway through cooking, until browned all over and tender when pierced in the centre with a sharp knife.
Meanwhile, for the sauce, arrange the red pepper quarters on a baking tray and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until soft with blackened, loosened skins.
Drain the lentils and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Put in a large saucepan and pour over 700ml/1¼ pints of cold water. Add the bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle over the sea salt and drizzle with olive oil, stirring well to coat the lentils. Set aside.
Transfer the roasted peppers to a food processor. Drain the cashew nuts and rinse thoroughly. Add the cashew nuts and remaining sauce ingredients to the food processor, blending until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dash of cold water if the sauce is too thick.
Just before serving, stir the roasted cauliflower and parsley into the lentils.
Spoon the salad onto serving plates, drizzle a little of the red-pepper sauce over each portion and serve.