Winter Spelt Soup
Serves 6 - £5.84
- A small onion,
- a carrot,
- a rib of celery,
- 3 cloves of garlic,
- 200 g of bacon/ lardons (or omit)
- Extra virgin olive oil,
- Salt and black pepper to taste,
- 200 gSpelt
- 400g tin chopped tomato
- 400 g of Borlotti beans
- Chopped parsley
- 1.1l chicken stock or bouillon powder
- TO SERVE
- extra chopped parsley
- freshly grated parmesan
1. Shred the Kale leaves, discarding the tough stems.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the pancetta or bacon and fry for 5-8 minutes until lightly golden, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic, onion, celery and carrot. and cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes and beans cook for a few minutes longer until mushy (squash some of the beans into the side to add some texture to the soup) then stir in the spelt, add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, adding the Kale after 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the chopped parsley and taste for salt & pepper
5. Serve with parmesan and parsley scattered over