Roasted parsnip and apple salad recipe
- 4 medium parsnips
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 dessert apples, cut into eighths, cores removed
- 4 good handfuls of salad leaves
- 50g lightly toasted hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with a little salt
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Peel the parsnips, quarter them and remove the woody cores, then chop them into roughly 2cm pieces.
2. Put the parsnips on a large roasting tray (they should not be crowded), scatter with some seasoning and toss with the oil. Roast for 10 minutes, then take them out of the oven, give them a stir, add the apple pieces and return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until everything is tender and golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Check the seasoning.
4. When the parsnip and apple pieces are cooked, transfer them to a bowl and toss them in the dressing.
5. Arrange the salad leaves on four plates, top with the warm, dressed parsnip and apple, then finish off with the toasted nuts. Serve straight away.