Grilled Jerusalem Artichoke, Red Onion and Olives
- 6 Jerusalem artichokes washed but not peeled
- 3 red onions
- extra virgin olive oil
- a splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 bunches of watercress or other peppery salad leaf
- a handful of small olives
- a handful of curly parsley chopped
- a splash of Vinaigrette (a simple one with vinegar and oil is fine, though some Dijon mustard, crushed garlic or lemon juice all make welcome additions)
- Boil the artichokes in salted water for 20 minutes until they are giving but not collapsing then allow to cool. Slice lengthwise about 1cm thick and put to one side. Meanwhile skin and quarter the onions, then toss in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and roast in a medium to hot oven (180°C) until soft and sweet. Allow them to cool slightly. Mix the watercress, olives and parsley
- Grill the artichokes on a ridged griddle pan. They should need no more than 2–3 minutes each side, as long as your griddle or barbecue is hot. Keep an eye on them.
- Add them to the other ingredients while warm, then add the vinaigrette, toss and serve.