Fried Butter Beans with Feta and Sorrel
- 1 can butter beans
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 4 spring onions, cut lengthways into long strips
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 100g sorrel, washed and cut into 2cm strips
- pinch salt
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 75g feta (or Parmesan), broken into pieces
- 1 tsp sumac
- Drain the beans and lightly fry them - you may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan. Take some of the butter and oil, and heat well in a frying pan. Add enough beans to cover the base of the pan and fry over medium-high heat for a minute or two on each side. The beans should develop a nice golden-brown, blistery skin. Transfer to a large bowl, and repeat with another batch of butter, oil and beans. When you're cooking the final batch, add the spring onions, garlic, chilli and sorrel once the beans are almost done, and sauté for a minute longer (keep back a little sorrel to use as a garnish at the end). Add to the bowl with the rest of the beans and season with salt.
- Allow the beans to cool down completely or until just warmish. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Lay the beans flat on a serving plate (or plates). Drizzle lemon juice on top, then broken feta, a sprinkling of sumac and some thinly sliced fresh sorrel. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.