Fried Broad Bean Pods
Cumin, paprika and/or black pepper would all make a nice addition to the batter.
- The pods from 8-10 medium-sized broad beans
- 120-150g self-raising flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml milk
- Vegetable or corn oil for deep frying
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Cut or tear the beans in half lengthways on the natural seam and remove any stringy bits and discoloured ends, then cut the pods into 3-4cm lengths. Season the flour well and add the suggested spices above if you wish.
- Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer.
- Have three bowls ready, one for the seasoned flour, one for the milk and the third for the finished bean pods. Coat the pods in the flour, shaking off any excess, then pass them through the milk and again through the flour.
- Deep fry in batches, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon on to some kitchen paper and sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.